Lucky, Lucky Star

Monday, October 02, 2006

It's been a hard night's day

No, not really.
But I couldn't think of a title.

I don't really have much to say right now,
but I am rather fond of what I wrote in my last post.
I like it when I tap into that little place in my head where the party lights are on.
Hopefully I can harness something to get this review done.

Yesterday I learned that my ultra-mormon niece (yes, the newly married 19 year old) and her (duh) husband WALKED OUT of the play I saw on Friday.
Because the language was "too bad".
I laughed out loud--and yes, I would modify that with "derisively".
I was somewhere between livid and disgusted.
What kind of world are these people living in???
It makes me nauseous and ornery all at once.
The unnecessary extremes to which these people push themselves leaves me shaking with anger.
What does swearing have to do with ANYTHING???
Am I suddenly stripped of my "good person" status because I fucking love to say "fuck"??
That is utter bullshit and we all know it.
How many freakazoid, uptight pastors have abused the hell out of their kids, while never uttering a "swear" word or being in the presence of the consumption of alcohol?
How many Priests molesting children does it take to prove this point?
How many mormon grandfathers screwing with their granddaughters does it take to prove this point??
I think I may burst, from my sheer frustration at their cluelessness.
Organized religion is harmful.
Period.

I still don't have that all the way off my chest, but I have too much to do to continue this rant.
My point is that they are not making wise decisions, they are burying their heads in the sand while viewing themselves as being better than everyone else.
If asked, they would never admit that they believe that, but it's evident by their oft-repeated, canned responses and such ridiculous moves as walking out of a spectacular play over a few words they've conditioned themselves to be afraid of.

p.s. the play was Chicago, which they should have known would have a risque factor to it. I feel like such a freak when I'm at my family's parties sometimes. If it weren't for my J. brother and my M. niece I would probably have to distance myself a bit. Those two get it: they understand that you can be Mormon and normal--just like I can be not Mormon and not evil, all at the same time. They rock.

Oh, and to top it all off, Desperate Housewives SUCKED hairy ass last night.
(no, not all of them; some of them licked smelly balls. har.)
Seriously, it was like they were trying to fit as much drama into one episode as possible.
The result was borderline ridiculous.

The good news is, I am going to visit my longest-known friend in Montana this weekend.
With our other friend, who lives here (the Jasmine of previous mentions).
It is going to be
so
amazing.
We're going to talk ourselves silly and hike and ride horses and drink wine!
I cannnnnnot wait.

I feel like I'm forgetting to mention something.
Oh, yeah.
Just a quick brother-in-law update:
He was in school when he died (that word still freaks me out; it's not possible.),
and his university is going to award him a posthumous degree.
My first reaction to that was elation, followed quickly by sadness.
They're also putting together a G. Lawrence Anderson Lecture Series.
He made such an impact there.
His professors have all said how much they learned from him,
and how having him in class made teaching so much more fulfilling.
So that means I cried a lot this weekend, but that's ok.
I keep him in my glove box...
The program from the funeral, with his picture on the front.
Because I always end up thinking about him while I'm driving,
and I like to look at him when I do.
Kind of silly.
I wonder when I will believe that he's really gone?
I mean, I kind of beleive it, but I still just have these moments where I realize that he's not just out of sight.

Sorry for the Monday morning downer.
You know I'm avoiding a deadline if I'm willing to talk about that!!!
Have a happy day, and if you're looking for something more pleasant, scroll to the next post down.

|