Lucky, Lucky Star

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Good times, bad times, you know I've had my share...

Led Zepellin was not one of the performers last night, but that line just seems fitting.

I went to the True Colors concert, at our beautiful amphitheatre.
For the first time in my life
(read that again, with feeling)
I was glad to have an actual seat at a concert.
I wasn't really in the mood to jam out
(either with or without my clam out...heh...)
and it was nice to just sit back and soak up the sunshine,
my cold, $8.50 draft beer in a convenient cupholder on the seat,
and enjoy the not-too-hot-thank-god sunshine and groovy music.
The best performance of the night goes to the Dresden Dolls,

a new-to-me band, although it should probably go to Cyndi Lauper herself, because she was truly adorable in every way and put on a great show.
Margaret Cho was simply lickable as the MC--
making good use of the plentiful Mormon-themed material available to her, with immitations and stories as well as lots of great political crap.

Here's the comment I left here from my phone last night:
Deborah Harry just left the stage
and right now the stereo is playing Amy Winehouse's cover of The Zutons' "Valerie"!!
It's almost as if You were here...
like my wish.
But you weren't there, it was just me.
My husband and I sat in silence for most of the show,
but finally the beer kicked in and he started talking.
We shared some good laughs then, in the cool night air.
But there was darkness around us long before the sun slipped behind the mountains.
I hope we can heal.

I've been having a great time with my kids this weekend,
and am truly looking forward to the coming weeks where we have nowhere to be in the mornings and we can go to the pool and for walks and stuff.

All of this angsty crap I write lately is my therapy, so please don't think this is all there is to my current life.
I still make people laugh, just not here.
I am still a good listener, just not here.
I am still having fun with my kids and having world-famous sex with my husband.
I still work out and cook and read and clean my house and sing along to music.
I just have a heavy load to lug around in an awkwardly shaped bag at the moment.
I want nothing more than to make everyone else (and myself) happy, but I don't know how.
I am as immobilized as every story in James Joyce's The Dubliners.
I'm the girl who wouldn't get on the boat, even though it was her only way out of a nowhere life.
I'm the boy who wouldn't buy anything at the bazaar after finally making it there, even though it would have brought him closer to the girl he wanted so desperately.
The rock and the hard place are my left hand and my right.

I keep thinking that once I make this decision I will be able to return to myself,
but how do I know?
How do I know which decision to make?
Rock.
Hard place.
Both decisions are completely right.
And completely wrong.
They both have devastating consequences while offering peace and joy.

I think I'll go shower, then feed the kids (again) and wander over to the pool.
We may even venture out the movies this afternoon if we think the little guys can sit still for the entire 7 and a half hours of Pirates 3...

|