Lucky, Lucky Star

Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day was sweet perfection

The whole weekend was pretty blissful, in fact.
That storm cloud hovered for a bit, but never did burst open.
On Saturday we drove out west, on a whim.
We had heard of a place near Tooele (pronounced 2-ill-uh) with cheap homes.
See, we're about to do a big shift and sell a bunch of assets/stock/etc and our plan is to buy a house with cash.
Anyway.
We found the spot, and it is only about ten minutes further from the city than our current suburb, but it's tucked behind the mountains and the valley is wide and most of it will remain undeveloped because it is the land that seeps out from the the Great Salt Lake--
salt flats, marshes.
Small town!
Quiet!
And then...
as we skirted the area looking for a way in, we saw it.
My heart still hasn't recovered.
It feels like home in more ways than I've ever imagined I would feel,
living in Utah.
It is a lake.
A spring fed, sort of artificial I assume, lake.
And all of the homes in that particular neighborhood back up to it.
You step out your backdoor and
there
is
the lake.
There are only a few homes for sale,
but we have an appointment to see the best one tomorrow night.
The house itself is just what we want/need as far as size and amenities,
but that's nothing compared to the outside--
mature trees!!! (swoon!)
a very nice/big redwood swingset
a hot tub
a deck
a DOCK!
Oh, oh, oh!
You have
no
idea how this makes my heart swell.
People have SAIL BOATS.
Everything from canoes and kayaks to peddle-boats to small sail boats
docked in backyards.
Modest homes, too, not a flashy/splashy resort community feel.
Homes from the 1960s and 70s, mostly from the 1990s and a few along one edge that are just being built now.
It looks so incredible.
There are certainly a few homes that are dazzling.
But most of them are just regular homes.
With what I can only assume are regular people.
And it feels so very un-Utah.
It's probably 90% Mormon, or something, but I sort of don't care!
It's closer to Wendover, too...
I can't even breathe.
You guys!!!!!!
I feel like I'm about to burst.
Ithink I already said that.
It's just so...
everything.
It feels right to both of us.
I've never seen hubby so excited about anything.
Suddenly I have no desire to finish planning the deck and fencing and trees for our current house...
so hopefully we'll make a decision quickly.

And then on Mother's Day,
I was treated to a delicious breakfast in bed,
and then taken on a hike that I have been hankering to take my family on for a long
long
time.
The Timpanogos Caves are a one hour hike up the side of the mountain,
and I was deeply impressed by the kids' perseverence.
We had such a great time.
The caves themselves were as cool--literally and figuratively--as I remembered.
The boys loved it, I loved it.
We all had such a grea time--I already said that, but it's true.
Then hubby and I laid in bed for the rest of the afternoon, reading, watching movies and
of course
doing
it.

Happy Mother's Day, indeed.

Ok, that is all.
I am making good progress with the BHW Chronicles.
Thank you so much to those of you so far who have offered to help!!
You are my heroes.
It will be really helpful to get that outside perspective...
Like, am I the only one who thinks this stuff is cool??
Have I overestimated how much material I should include??
Et.
Cetera.

|